Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mommy as an Explanation


According to this sign, which hung in many of the places I lived with my mom as a child, a mother does not have to have a reason for her actions. She is the Mother, or in this case the "mummy," and therefor has unlimited power to simply state this as fact and justification. Her dear little chickies must then accept this explanation and get over their desire to understand.

Perhaps the idea is that someday the chickies will understand and by then they will have the power to justify in this way.

Stubborn and bratty child that I was, this explanation never really sat with me. It felt forced and lazy when my mother used it. As I enter this world of motherhood, I wonder (as well as commit to observing) just how often I will use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment